Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Canada Day!


My little celebration consisted of a cup of coffee in an appropriately Canadian mug.


The coffee was to be accompanied by peanut butter cookies. Alas, the butagas canister ran empty just as I put the cookies in the oven. Being a Girl Guide, I am prepared and have a spare canister ready for such occasions. I was able to change the canister but could not budge the valve open. The wrench is a little too small. So I await the arrival of the gardener for his afternoon shift, hoping that he can open it. And then I will go into town and buy a BIGGER wrench.

7:15PM UPDATE: I am sure that inquiring minds will want to know how the cookies turned out: delicious and very decadent.


I will think of these as adult peanut butter cookies. X-rated. ;-) I started with the recipe on AllRecipes for Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies and did a lot of ad-libbing. First, I used chunky peanut butter.* Then, I used 1 cup of butter because shortening is not available here. Next, I reduced the white sugar to 1/2 cup. I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla and increased the oats to 2 cups. And for the final crescendo, I added 1 cup of chopped chocolate chunks. Wow. If you want a treat, give these a try.

*The presence of chunky peanut butter in my cupboard was the impetus for making these cookies. I'm a 'smoothie' when it comes to pb on toast, so it was necessary to make cookies in order to use up the peanut butter. ;-)


And with that, the Sun sets into the Sahara. Ra descends into the Underworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment