Monday, July 19, 2010

Across the Planet in a Blur


I calculate that I have been up for 43 hours and I have 3 more to go before bedtime. My journey across the planet began on Sunday. Just before dawn all was quiet on the Nile.


Cat joined me on the balcony for our ritual coffee and sunrise. We then scrambled to put everything in order in the flat before our flight to Cairo.


When last seen, Cat was settled in her Cairo 'hotel' room. She traveled very well. I was very proud of her.


Then I went to my favourite treasure shop in the Khan el Khalili for some last minute gifts for family.


Two of the "Three (Crazy) Brothers" searched for exactly what I needed and then engraved the brass ornaments while I waited. There are actually 8 brothers and on this trip I had the pleasure to meet their baba ("father") and receive an Arabic lesson. The shop is above and away from the tourist gauntlet. It is such fun to explore their shop with its myriad of old and new brass and copper lamps and stamps, boxes and locks, jugs and mugs, planters and knockers. I've always known them as the 3 Crazy Brothers but I notice that their business card leaves out the adjective. FYI: they are located up a narrow staircase at #5 Rabeh El Selhidar Street; tel: 25918774; mobile: 0129934727.


One of my favourite Cairo sights: floodlit minarets. These medieval beacons of prayer stand atop of Al Azhar mosque.


Early the next morning the long haul across the planet began. The westward journey began 'today' . . . I think . . . although it might have been 'yesterday' according to Cairo time. I'm a little confused. Much of the time I was wondering, "Where am I?"


I am certainly in a different land, as evidenced by the BIG fluffy clouds overhead. And the sky is a different shade of blue than in Egypt. I think I will take the time to contemplate these heavenly creations. It's good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment