Saturday, July 17, 2010

Farewell Paradise

Parting is such sweet sorrow.
Shakespeare

Tomorrow I begin a journey back to the homeland, so I took my camera out to record my farewells.


The camels weren't too interested in me. I never paid attention to their fringed tail before, so there is still much to learn about these beasts. I suspect that they will travel to market soon and will not be here when I return. I will miss them.


I will also miss my beloved palms. Just look at that fruit! I see lots of date squares in my future.


I will miss my kind neighbours. I had tea this afternoon with Younis (aka el Mudir). He introduced me to his family and his newest addition: a 4-day-old calf (with her very protective mother). After gathering lemons and climbing his fig tree to send me with a bag of the freshest fruit, he walked me home. Along the way he solved the mystery of my "White Bell" plant: it is sesame (simsim). I have much to learn.


I will miss all the activity along our road. Some day I want to sit with the camera pointed at the road and just capture the variety. Here is an itinerant home goods salesman.

And finally, I will miss the sunsets over the magical Theban hills. It is a thrill to catch the very last arc before the Sun disappears for another day. Farewell Ra.

Good night, good night! parting is such
sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment