Sunday, July 4, 2010

New Day

When each day is the same as the next, it's because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives everyday that the sun rises.
Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist



I took 60 shots of the Sun rising. I had time-lapse photography in mind; however, on down-loading the images I found that even the slightest change in orientation makes it appear that the Earth in on a roller-coaster. Some days it certainly feels that way! ;-) However, that was not the effect that I was trying to achieve so I will try again tomorrow -- with a tripod.

Now I have 60 shots that are each so beautiful that I can't bring myself to delete any. I guess this is why back-up drives were invented.


The Sun was well up, relatively speaking (it may have been 6:30am), when the first farmers crossed the foreground, heading to their fields.


Good morning to you! My first Sabah el-Kheir flower greeted me this morning. The gardener, Mohamed, gave me three plants a few weeks ago. What a joy to see such vibrant new life.

July 5th UPDATE: My mom enlightened me with news that the "Good Morning" flowers are called Portulaca in the homeland. Wikipedia tells me that it is commonly called "Moss Roses" and that it is edible: with "a slight lemon-like taste and mushroom-like texture". I'll take their word for it. ;-)

7PM UPDATE: On a commission to photograph the now famous (and mysterious) "White Bells" plant, I walked along the narrow footpaths through the fields. Most are not so clear as this one because vines, in particular, do not stay within their allotment.



I believe this is a pea -- only because it looks like the Sweet Peas that once grew in my flower garden in the far North. The peas are growing in the same field as the "White Bells".


I shared the path with an egret until she sought higher altitudes.


I find the trunks of palm trees fascinating. Their texture tells the history of growth with each palm frond recorded.

2 comments:

  1. I still think that tree trunk looks live the face of a one eyed rabbit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I see a one-eyed orangutan.

    ReplyDelete