Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ploughing Up-Close


Cat and I were up before the Sun, as were the farmers. If you look in the dim light of the lower right, you'll see the plough already at work.


A balloon came in for a closer look. With that I decided to leave behind my day's to-do list and go have a closer look myself.


The five men greeted me with smiles and welcomed me to take photos. The cows looked a lot bigger in person than they appear in the photo. "Massive" is a good adjective; as is "beautiful".


They are planting corn.


The plough appears to cut through the earth like a knife through butter. I say 'appears' because that is sweat on the ploughman's back so I appreciate that it is hard work. The earth here in the Nile plain is very silty but add water and it forms clods of cement. Just ask my Dad who planted a rooftop garden for us!


El mudir turned out to be a very friendly man. I have been invited to return tomorrow to have tea with the men during their break. I will enjoy that very much. I am truly thankful for meeting such good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment