Monday, July 12, 2010

Veggie Blossoms


I was given a tour of the neighbour's garden this morning and learned more about what I'm eating before it gets to market.

I could not believe the size of the okra flower in comparison to its crop. I thought the flower looked familiar and, sure enough, it belongs to the same Mallow family as hollyhocks, along with cotton and hibiscus. Called bamia in Egypt, it is a popular side-dish and has been for a long time: according to Food Reference it has been grown here for 3200 years.


Across from the okra patch stood multiple rows of eggplants. I've read that eggplant was introduced to Italy by the Arabs in the early Middle Ages but that Italian cooks did not accept it with open arms because it was thought to be poisonous. It is a member of the deadly Nightshade family but what would we do without Eggplant Parmigiana? Thank goodness they took a chance! Eggplants originated in India/Pakistan. Today, China is the world's biggest producer while (surprise!) Egypt is #3.


From the garden I took a cup of mint leaves and tried my hand at making fresh mint ice cream. It will help me get through the next few days of 48/49C temperatures (120F!) but I prefer a stronger mint flavour. The leaves steep in warm cream and milk for an hour. Perhaps more flavour would transfer to the cream if the leaves were shredded. I'll give it a try next time!

7:30P.M. UPDATE: Whew! It was a hot day.


The station at the airport reported the high as only 43C. It felt hotter than that inside the flat. Humidity probably played a role because its maximum level was 55% and the average was 39%. My personal humidity index was 100%. As the Wicked Witch of the West said, "I'm melting."

No comments:

Post a Comment