Friday, July 9, 2010

Collecting Nectar

Life is a combination of magic and pasta.
Federico Fellini


At lunch I became acquainted with Foriana sauce and I am asking, "Where have you been all my life?" A specialty of the isle of Ischia, off the coast of Napoli, Foriana sauce blends walnuts, pine nuts, garlic, oregano and raisins. This ethereal recipe floats through the blogosphere: a Canadian in Egypt reads of a Spainard's adventures in Scotland, who read a review by a New York chef of another New Yorker who writes for Saveur food magazine and is the daughter of Italian cookbook writer Ed Giobbi. Did you follow that? I feel like a bee, flitting about the Internet collecting nectar. The result is very satisfying. Now, if I could only get a descent glass of white wine! ;-)

7P.M. UPDATE: Counting my blessings. Most evenings I sit on the balcony and enjoy the beauty of the end of the day. As I sit comfortably in my chair, I often watch two women make their way across the fields with bales of forage balanced on their heads. They have spent the past couple of hours 'weeding' the fields and the proceeds of their labour will feed their animals.


And although they are often laughing and telling stories to one another as they pass, I somehow don't think that they believe that life is made of magic and pasta.


But they may tell me that life is made of Allah's blessings and fuul (beans). And I would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment