Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Unfamiliar Familiar


I took advantage of the cool evening to go for a walk to the river. I have not passed this way in several weeks and the landscape has changed dramatically. It was familiar, but not. I posted a photo of a boy walking through a golden wheat field on March 26. If he passed this way now, he would be shoulder deep in water.


Where once there were wheat fields, fishermen are now netting fish. I was in awe of the transformation - a small taste of what the inundations must have been like before the Aswan dam was built in the 1960s and completed in 1970.


Take a close look at the oars. These ones have more width to the blade than most Egyptian oars. I always shake my head when a felucca captain caught in the doldrums resorts to paddling to shore with what look to me to be big, heavy sticks. How they achieve any propulsion I do not know.


My walk enabled me to check in with the camels. They are in fine form!


My companion for the journey was the neighbour's pet. Her familiarity with the route made it obvious that she passes this way often. Here her attention was focused on a little fox. My propensity to talk to animals meant that I exclaimed aloud, "Oh look! A little fox." And with that, the fox high-tailed it back to its mother and I missed the shot.


I ended the day with an iced cappuccino at my favourite cafe and then caught the sunset from the ferry.

No comments:

Post a Comment