Saturday, June 12, 2010

Better to Pray than to Sleep


"Better to pray than to sleep," so calls the muezzin over the loudspeaker at 4am. I could not return to sleep so I had lots of time to feed Cat, drink my coffee, and read email before the Sun rose almost 2 hours later.


The mountain face with the tombs of the nobles at its base glowed a soft orange.


And I loved the affect of the dawn illuminating the new lamps. Almost worth getting up for. ;-)


It's amazing what can be accomplished before 10AM when you wake up at 4! As I busily cleared out boxes on the balcony (almost done!), men were trimming palm trees nearby. The video shows the one fellow at the top of the tree with his gallabeyya hiked up on his hips as he straddles the tree with his bare feet and holds himself up with only a rope. As he chops away on high, another fellow at ground level rips the leaves from the frond's stem. Note how quiet my little corner of paradise is at 9AM. The final shot shows the results of their work in the afternoon light.

2 comments:

  1. and your husband he thought you might be getting bored :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bored? How can I be bored when shadows on the wall amuse me?!

    ReplyDelete