Sunday, June 20, 2010

From the Sauna to the Steam Room


Whew! Hot day in June. I think we have a record as it hit 48C (118F)! And I notice that the temperatures forecast for the week have been notched up. Sigh. I challenged Mother Nature in yesterday's post to bring on the heat and She has obliged. Hubris. I should know better!

A necessary meeting with the lawyer to discuss land tax registration meant that I was out in it. At one point, myself and an old man were huddled against a wall with our feet in the 6" of shade that it provided while we waited for the service taxi. Walking along the Corniche against a breeze it felt like a hair dryer pointed at my face. Then, when the ferry was in the middle of the river, the breeze felt icy and I shivered. And, finally, crossing the field of clover to our home the humidity was so high that it was literally steamy.


After experiencing the sauna, cold plunge and steam room, I was refreshed by a cool shower and a scoop (or two) of granita di cocomero (watermelon sorbet). A watermelon appeared outside my door yesterday afternoon. The gift prompted the production of the ice using a recipe found on Sara's blog about life in Italy (without the chocolate chip 'seeds'). Thank God the Time Traveller installed the evaporative air cooler! Cat and I are very comfortable inside the flat. I think we will stay inside tomorrow.

1 comment: