Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mangos for Breakfast


When it's 30C (86F) at 8AM, I think it makes perfect sense to eat frozen yogurt for breakfast. It certainly starts the day on a positive note!

I bought a kilo of fruit yesterday for LE7 ($1.50) in the 'expensive' souk in Luxor knowing that I would not be able to manage the heat today in my local market.


Beginning with the recipe for Mango Ice Cream with Caramelized Mango I used yogurt in place of cream, added a little cardamon, and doubled the amount of fruit. It's tasty. I'm sure it would have more intense flavour if I had allowed the fruit to ripen more, but I was impatient. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. do you need to cross the river to get to the expense(?) souk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a couple of 'hole-in-the-wall' shops near home to buy fruits and veggies but they tend to have 'not so' fresh items. The 'expensive' souk is in the center of Luxor. If I felt up to the walk, beyond the train station there is a large, new market for Luxorites (Luxorians?). The expensive souk was, however, conveniently located between lawyer's office and cafe, so I paid the LE7 for the comfort. ;-)

    ReplyDelete