Friday, March 26, 2010

In the Quiet of the Morn, and of Twilight

A hoopoe welcomes the new day from our balcony:

I fully appreciate the peace and quiet that out flat provides. People ask me what I do all day and look at me strangely when I reply honestly, "Sit on my balcony." And I thank God that I have been granted the opportunity to sit on my balcony. What a pleasure it is!


Just before sunset I walked through the banana grove behind our flat to the Nile and turned South. Here there is a flood plain which still disappears under water when the dam at Aswan is opened in the summer. When the water is low, wheat is planted and cattle, donkeys, and water buffalo (called gamoosa in Arabic) graze. Believe it or not, just across the river to the left of the photo is a kilometer of multi-storey five-star hotels. I focus on the tranquility of grain blowing in the wind.


The wheat looks about ready to harvest. I and my walking stick didn't run through the fields of gold; rather we strolled. I garnered much respect for my walking stick with its goat fur base. I purchased it at the Wednesday souk for 15LE ($3) and, although it is not substantial, it makes a statement: I am a local (or nearly so) and one with style (or nearly so). My neighbours get a kick out of that.

1 comment:

  1. .. wind shaped boy, path, stalks and forever the raking light ...

    ReplyDelete