Monday, June 7, 2010

The Mundane is Marvelous

Creativity is piercing the mundane to find the marvelous.
Bill Moyers


The title of today's post misquotes Bill Moyers, but seeing the marvelous in the mundane and being thankful for it is the essence of my blog. I don't think this requires creativity; it just requires us to look, and to appreciate the world around us. What could be more ordinary than buying garbage bags? Yet what extraordinary architecture I happened upon in my search!


As my companion guided me through the narrow streets we spotted multiple-storey buildings with palm beam tresses. Just a few nights previous, her fiance had explained that non-productive palm trees are set ablaze in order to harden them for use as ceiling beams.


The search for garbage bags brought me to this little shop which sells only plastic bags. And I couldn't have been happier to meet the owner's two boys who served me in a very mature fashion. So just this little jaunt through Luxor's old streets in 46C heat gave me much pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. We are experiencing a 12ยบ heat wave - unbearable until I read up on the great iced tea for just such rare occurances

    ReplyDelete