Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Inside the Belly of the Beast


Today's adventure involved changing the 'filters' in our evaporative cooler. This was uncharted territory and I was thankful that my parents instilled a "Can-Do" spirit in me. Where would I be otherwise? I pondered that question a lot as I took each step.

'Filter' probably isn't the correct word; the straw-like screens (located on the sides of the cooler) look like filters but, in fact, their job is to absorb the water dripping down from above and allow outside air to pass through them to be cooled by the water and then blown inside the house. The machine is beautifully simple: a water pump, a fan, and 3 'filters'.


The 'filters' needed changing because they trap hamseen sand and bird feathers from the outside air, and a significant amount of calcium from the water. My tea kettle doesn't look this bad, but it's not running 24/7.


In a perfect world, the size of newly purchased filters would match the size of the machine. I can accept (a few) imperfections, so I pulled out measuring tape and scissors and made the filters fit. Cat assisted in the operation by ensuring that I did not take the job too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment