Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kullu Makloub!


Things look worst right before victory, right? I ask this with the slightest edge of panic in my voice. Kullu makloub (everything is upsidedown) in my home . . . and we have (at least) one more day of the chaos before I can begin to try to put things in order. No, the wardrobes are not finished yet. The painter refused to come and the carpenter was moving slowly because he cut his thumb with an electric saw this morning in his workshop.

Thankfully, some items were crossed off the to-do list, such as screening the kitchen exhaust fan. We think this is how my not-so-friendly mouse has been getting into the flat. Notice standard Egyptian safety practices for ensuring that the contractor does not fall three storeys. It's a good thing he had one helper to hold each leg.


The newly installed fan over the stove works well; however, I got a krink in my neck trying to make arrabbiata sauce tonight because there isn't enough space to get a good look at what I'm cooking on the back burners. I warned the contractor before he left that this might be the case. This is the shortest fan that we saw, so either all the cabinets have to be raised, or the stand under the stove has to be shortened. Sigh.


We've been thinking about building a decorative wood wall in a space between the living room and the front door. To test this idea, I hung curtains today with a simple tension rod. New arabesque lamps were also hung. It seems that "Sex in the City 2" is making arabesque decor very popular, so we're 'in style'. Wow.


The curtain fabric, produced by Tanis in Cairo, copies an ancient Coptic design of birds of Paradise. I thought the birds were appropriate for my little corner of paradise.

On that positive note, I will relax in the living room and not think about the mess that surrounds me. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment