Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Whoosh!

I jumped out of bed this morning at 6am, hearing a series of 'whooooosh . . . whoooosh' directly outside the bedroom window.


It's a bit disconcerting to have visitors arrive when one is still in their nightgown. Whoosh became the theme for the day, which has been full of activity.

A fairly stiff breeze blew against me as I bicycled to the vegetable souk. I could do without this whooshing resistence to my weekly workout. At the souk I sat with Sherine's mother for a while and watched the fellow beside her make the sieves he was selling.




Back at home the workmen soon arrived to continue their ransacking . . . I mean, installation. And progress was made. The air cooler is now functioning with water coming from the kitchen on the opposite side of flat. This necessitated drilling a hole through a wall and the kitchen's ceramic wall tile. More holes, more mess. Bokra, insha'Allah, they will complete the job. (I believe I have said this before.)


As the day whooshed by I found myself late this evening in a Luxor paint store buying supplies for my weekend project. "Colour Your World" it's not. They were able to match the colour and I could buy masking tape and paint rollers, but it seems that they had never heard of paint trays. They advised me to dip the roller into a big bucket of paint and just give it a good thwack to remove the excess paint and spread the remaining paint evenly across the roller. I'm doubtful of the success of this procedure. I think a good thwack is going to have orange paint over every surface. Ah! Now I understand all the splatters in professionally painted Egyptian houses and offices! A creative alternative to 'thwack' must be found. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. --- these images of the craftspeople are among your most intriguing --

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was up at 1AM with an unhappy and teething Samantha I (think) I came up with a twacking substitution. When I worked at Color Your World some of the contractors used the big 5 gallon pails of paint (too heavy to pour into a tray) and had a grill/mess type square that they sat on top of the pail. Dip the roller in (or pour some paint on) roll on the mesh and extra paint goes back into the pail. It seemed like a good idea this morning but I could be wrong (I know I'm very sleep deprived right now). Good luck!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great idea. Such a screen over any plastic bucket/box should work. Thanks! And I hope Samantha feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete