Friday, March 19, 2010

A Stroll with Friends


Friends who once lived in Cairo returned to Egypt for a celebration. It was wonderful to see them after so many years. Together we wandered through Luxor's back streets commenting on the friendliness of people that we met along the way. One young girl shouted from her door, "I love you!"


Vibrant colours liven up the narrow (hence shaded and cool) streets. These wood-screened balconies are beautiful and provide privacy too. Their design has evolved from the mashrabeyya panels that screened medieval windows and the women inside.


During our stroll I added to my collection of "Doors of Luxor" photos. Perhaps I will print a poster as suggested in a comment to an earlier blog. It will be enjoyable research.


The Coptic crosses protect the family that live in this home. I don't think the home has been abandoned, although the doors all appear to be ajar.


I particularly liked the mailbox on this door. And note the usual motorcycle helmet that fulfills the letter of the law, if not its intent. Drivers will put these construction helmets on their heads only if police are present.

No comments:

Post a Comment