Monday, March 8, 2010

Doors of Luxor


I went on a wild goose chase over to the city today, thinking that my order from Amazon had actually arrived. Shipped on January 27th, I have been waiting expectantly for the past few weeks as the March 11th "estimated delivery date" nears. Although my brain says the books will never make it here, my heart is eternally optimistic and I cheered when the woman from the post office telephoned this morning to say that "books" had arrived. Wrong. Bah. I was bummed out leaving the post office and walking through the back streets of Luxor to drown my sorrows in a cappuccino and a chocolate chip cookie at my favourite cafe.


But along the way I spotted some interesting architectural features of the old buildings in the neighbourhood directly East of Luxor Temple. There is a MAJOR 'beautification'/'renewal' project going on, resulting in the demolition of a number of fine old homes and public buildings. I fear these doors may soon be lost.


I was struck by the detail of the rings on these door knockers. Some designer took real pride in his work when producing the mold for these iron beauties.


Although completely unrelated to today's thread, I just want to share my morning chuckle of finding Cat in the mop bucket. The Time Traveller and I were re-organizing the balcony and it seems that Cat wanted to be part of the team effort.


6PM UPDATE: This evening's sunset was outshone by a raging fire in a nearby field. Talk about a ring of fire! Two fellows, who seemed to be in charge of stoking the fire, removed their long gallabeyas and ran about in white t-shirts and red undershorts spreading the flames. It was quite spectacular and several people gathered to watch. I was glad to see that they kept the children a good distance back from the flames.

2 comments:

  1. - I miss a day and presto you've fought your way through rings of fire and excuses not to mop the floor - where have I been. PS particularly like the 'knockers' - cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doors are beautiful! I am reminded of the posters "Doors of Napa Wineries", "Brantford Cottages" and "Door Knockers of Malta". I'd buy a poster of "Doors of Luxor"!

    ReplyDelete