Sunday, March 21, 2010

Out of Eggs!


This morning two fellow expats stopped by for coffee. I wanted to bake cookies before their arrival but found I was out of eggs. I had no alternative but to serve them my upside-down pineapple-coconut-guava cake, baked yesterday with the last of the eggs (tsk). Yes, I'm still working through the surplus of guava. Unfortunately, the guava gave the cake a heavy texture, hence I would have preferred to hide it from guests but the ladies were kind enough to say that they liked it.

Nonetheless, a trip to the city supermarkets was necessary in the face of an egg and coffee shortage. Omar Market is the largest grocery store in town. Its shelves overflow (mostly of things that I don't eat or of one particular item, such as jam) and its narrow aisles are an obstacle course of unshelved products and staff lounging across the boxes but I can usually find the basics at good prices. So I'm thankful that Omar exists.


A few blocks away is Arkwrights. I'm told it is British in origin. It's the only one in Egypt and I'm thankful that it is in Luxor because here I can buy Folger's coffee, Lavazza Rossa espresso, and tonic. Admittedly, one can of Folger's costs more than the a bag of groceries purchased at Omar Market, but I consider it an essential.


After grocery shopping, I usually stop in at my favourite cafe before heading home. It has the best cappuccino in town and is truly an oasis amidst the craziness of Luxor.


After a cappuccino and a chocolate chip cookie, my view of the world straightens out. And life is good.

4 comments:

  1. I can enlighten you about 'Arkwrights' It comes from a very popular TV comedy show called 'Open All Hours' which starred a man called Ronnie Barker. You can read all about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_All_Hours
    May be your local 'Arkwrights' is owned by an ex-pat Brit or an Egyptian fan of the show?
    On the subject of your cakes, I seem to recall you make a VERY good courgette cake... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! You are very sweet to remember my zucchini bread (my aunt's recipe). That gives me some ideas for improving the guava cake! And thanks for the link to Arkwrights' origin. I will see if I can watch it on YouTube. Indeed, the Luxor store is owned by a British woman and her Egyptian partner. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, it all starts to make sense now. I caught an episode of "Open All Hours" on YouTube. The delivery bicycle outside the store and the sign on the door fit with the show. Perhaps a later episode would explain the boater hats that the men wear inside the shop. There are a lot of Brits living in Luxor and I'm sure they appreciate the link to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world of Sherine and Shari of Luxor is hard to keep up with - maybe its all coffee and markets to you, but its a nightcap for me - especially after that van Gogh like bedroom cafe pix - sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete