Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sweet Decadence


Mr. Webster might use words like depraved, debauched and immoral but to me 'decadent' is synonymous with rich, luxuriant and sweet. My Mom was certainly very sweet when she made Dad and I quadruple chocolate cookies in time for our morning coffee. What a treat! And oh so decadent! And, yes, for you observant types, the photo was taken with my evening tea. I noticed Dad took one too! ;-)

Mom adapted the "Chocolatey Chocolate Chip Cookies" recipe found in the Robin Hood Baking Festival Cookbook. Go ahead . . . indulge!

Chocolatey Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups (400 mL) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (75 mL) cocoa powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) butter
3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
3 cups (750 mL) chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
2. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream butter in a large bowl at medium speed until light. Gradually beat in sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. Blend in dry ingredients on low speed. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Drop dough by tablespoons (15 mL) about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on greased (or parchment covered) cookie sheet. Press down with a fork. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer to rack and cool. (But try one warm . . . I swooned.)

Sweet dreams!

4 comments:

  1. Alternative definition for decadent:

    Car with 10 pieces of minor accident damage.

    :0))

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how is "Alice"? Is she still meandering along the highways and byways? (I hope she forgives me if I've mis-remembered her name. A "senior's moment")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for remembering ! - the name is 'Florrie' so you've only had a ~58% 'senior moment'...
    Yes, she's fine and still with us.
    Could I use your Lycos address to send a couple of recent pics ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please! Yesterday I came across photos of us at Kew Gardens and in an old churchyard. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete