Sunday, September 12, 2010

Secrets Revealed!


At the risk of sounding like Zahi Hawass, the master of secrets, this afternoon I learned the secrets of beer can chicken . . . with apologies to the chicken. I had heard rumours of doing the unimaginable to achieve super moist results and my cousin offered to induct me into the mysteries.


The hen is stood upon a half full can of beer and rubbed down with an aromatic potion comprised of 1 teaspoon each of mustard powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt, and 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, cumin and black pepper. A glug of oil mixed into these spices allows them to be spread over the bird. This is a secret recipe but I was granted leave to share it.


After an hour surrounded by indirect heat in the barbeque or oven, the chicken has juicy meat and delicious crispy exterior. It is said that in beer-free lands a can of ginger ale can be substituted.


Talking chicken and turkey over dinner, I learned of a sign that I wanted to add to my 'Only in Canada' collection. For more details, read the local newspaper's wild turkey chase story.


A little further away along the lakeshore drive stands another unique warning to drivers. Only an artist who truly loved animals would portray them so sweetly.


Sunday evening is perfect for a drive among the vineyards and orchards of the Niagara Penninsula.

1 comment:

  1. now this was the 'fowlest' page on your blog - ever

    - especially with that can of '_uck' your 'stand-up' chicken is priceless - with those mushroom mitties this is some hot chick

    ReplyDelete