Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Views from the Hammock

Saturday, July 31, 2010


After a bountiful breakfast and numerous cups of coffee, I stretched out in the hammock. This is the way to celebrate summer!


I was quite busy from my perch. I studied the clouds and the movements of the ash leaves very carefully.


And I monitored the changing moods of the lake.


I could also monitor the work of the Time Traveller as he screened a vent that squirrels accessed to store their winter supply of nuts and mushrooms.


They were not happy to find themselves barred from the cozy attic. Feeling somewhat guilty, the Time Traveller established a squirrel house for them some distance away from the cabin. He even provided them with a mound of mushrooms collected in the woods.


I moved from the hammock to the dock, from repose to tranquility.


It was the sight of pelicans on the lake which roused me from my warm bed earlier in the morning.


In the afternoon, we canoed around the lake but did not spot the pelicans again. Instead we watched a flock of graceful shorebirds, which I think are mottled godwits.


After 10PM, the peaceful lake was cloaked in the sunset's afterglow.

No comments:

Post a Comment