Thursday, August 12, 2010

Try It


Another recipe slipped into Great great grandma's (aka Granny's) cookbook is a winner. If you're interested in a century-old recipe for oatcakes, I suggest this one. According to Granny's notation, "Very good. Try it." I'm glad I did!

Oatmeal Cakes
2 cups flour
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoonful salt
1 teaspoonful soda
1 cup butter
1/2 cup boiling water

Roll out and cut in squares. They are most delisious (sic).

Great great granddaughter's notes: I rolled the dough out between sheets of parchment and then transferred parchment to large cookie sheet. Then I scored the dough into squares and baked at 350F for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing it's Granny McLeod's cookbook. I'd love to get copies of her hand written recipes. What a great discovery! Can't wait for it to get cooler so I can do some baking.

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete