Friday, August 27, 2010

As We Like It


My dear friend and her daughters treated me to a day at Stratford, beginning with a picnic lunch beside Lake Victoria, which is fed by the Avon River. One of my earliest childhood memories is of my brother and I sleeping under a tree after a similar picnic lunch.


I felt right at home standing at the crossroads where the Nile and Ontario meet.


A young entrepreneur sells bags of corn kernels for $1 to feed the ducks, swans and geese that think they are swans. Corn is healthier than bread for the birds.


Then we enjoyed an afternoon performance of "As You Like It" in the Festival Theatre. The building was a revolutionary/retrograde theatre when built in 1957 with its thrust stage bringing the actors (and the action) closer to the audience and its tent-like roof. It was a great day, completed by a very large and very red harvest moon rising in the East as we drove home.

No comments:

Post a Comment