Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Other Side of the Tracks


The search for screening took me over the railroad tracks that divide Luxor city.


Not only did I find a length of screening to use as a paint spreader, I also found a unique door. I love the colour and the crocodiles. I believe that the crocodiles symbolically protect the household.


This is the same idea interpreted on the West Bank. As you can see, the people here are a little more 'down to earth'. This beast is not, in fact, a crocodile but a Nile Monitor lizard. Crocodiles are now rare in the Nile so householders must look to big nasty-looking lizards for protection. Works for me.


From my new vantage point, I got a great view of the construction of the Coptic cathedral. It is an amazing edifice hemmed in by buildings so I usually cannot see it from the street level. It is being constructed over a smaller existing church where services are still performed while work goes on.


And here's another new view for me of another amazing edifice: Luxor Temple. I usually walk by the Snack Time restaurant because it looks like a fastfood joint. I had no idea what I was missing until someone said we should meet here for coffee. (By the way Mom, the cigarettes are not mine.)

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I thought the edifice was the dessert!...Didn't even see the temple.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete