Saturday, April 3, 2010

Eid Keama! Happy Easter!


The Time Traveller and I joined the Coptic community at Luxor's St. Mariam church tonight for Easter celebration. Thankfully, I had luck on my side and I got across the gang plank without being baptised in the Nile.


In the church, men sit on the left side while the women sit on the right or in the upper gallery. The sermon is presented in Arabic but much of the service is in Coptic, for which there is a strong movement to preserve the ancient language. The first part of the video captures the priest chanting the scripture reading in Coptic. Then the hymns are chanted in Coptic. Note how the bishop uses a metal Coptic-style cross to refill the incense burner. Priests hold a cross throughout the services. Finally, I enjoyed watching the boy participate in service with his father.

1 comment:

  1. Abstaining is advised at Lucky"s Boat Tours.

    ReplyDelete