Saturday, April 17, 2010

End of Studies


Coming back from the government grocery store I headed into a sea of white and blue school uniforms. When school lets out at 12:30, our road is full of young girls and, seemingly, many less young boys. They are the morning shift at the nearby school. Older girls attend the afternoon shift and older boys go to a different school. Egypt has millions (literally) of children under the age of 16 and not enough schools so most go for only half a day, six days per week. In Cairo, I've seen students heading home at 8pm at the end of a third shift.


This is the school on a quiet Friday. The school looks well maintained and a new one is being built on the main road. Education reform is ongoing in Egypt, so I won't comment on the quality of their learning.

I was able to make this shopping trip, pushing myself away from the computer, because I have finished the draft of the pottery report. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment