Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Footwear

The reason the Romans built their great paved highways was because they had such inconvenient footwear.
Charles de Montesquieu, French Philosopher (1689-1755)

Temperatures soared to 41C today. And in that heat we found ourselves driving along the western desert highway on a journey to and from the ancient temple of Hathor at Dendara. We had an amazing tour as a very dear colleague is now the director and much work has been done since my last visit to reveal the painted relief and build a visitor orientation centre. I now have the material for yet another Travel Tuesday post. Have faith! It will be done!

On the way to Dendara we stopped to visit the potters at Deir el Ballas so that I could deliver promised photos taken during my last visit. The family was as busy as ever producing flower pots and water urns (zir) and the yard was full of ballas.

The young man at the potters had more sense than the tourist taking a photo of her beau outside Hathor's temple. My decidedly non-chic running shoes took me up a ladder to the roof-high scaffolding and down into a deep crypt -- and I had a great time! -- so my stilettos will remain in the closest. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment