Thursday, May 6, 2010

Something Different


Five months and one kitchen renovation later, I still have 10 big boxes stored on the balcony, unpacked from the move from Cairo. After spending the day trying to work through them, I wanted to get out of the flat and do 'something different'. So I crossed the river and went to the rooftop of SnackTime which serves Egyptian food. Let me clarify . . . it serves bad Egyptian food. And when I told the manager that it was bad he said, "Thank you." A service ethic is pretty much non-existent here.


Oh well. I chalked it up to learning where not to eat. And I did enjoy the view and all the activity on the street below, such as the donkey hauling Coca-Cola and bottled water.


Abu Haggag Mosque was particularly beautiful at twilight.


And a little later its minarets gleamed before the night sky. (I'm must try to repeat this shot when there's a crescent moon.)

The beauty of the night prevailed over bad food and service. Good night. All is calm. All is well.

2 comments:

  1. The restaurant clearly has the company motto "NOTHING is too much trouble..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one! I'm going to commit to memory the Arabic translation of that one!

    ReplyDelete