Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Inspiration


A bag of peppers purchased two weeks ago needed to used . . . today. I wasn't sure what to do with them when I pulled the bag from the frig this morning as I grabbed the milk for my coffee. A little later, during my morning cruise of the Net, I was inspired by one of the blogs that I visit, Desserts for Breakfast. It aptly fits my philosophy of life.

I can't reach the master level of baking that Stephanie's attained, and I often can't obtain her ingredients in my local souk or 'neighbourhood' grocery store (smirk), but I am aroused to action by her photography of her beautiful creations and ideas are stirred by her recipes. Today's recipe was "Caramelized onion, goat cheese and heirloom tomato buckwheat/thyme tart/quiche". Whew! What a mouthful!

What comes out of Shari's kitchen is "Pepperonata, feta and cheddar cheese quiche in a basil accented crust" with 'feta' and 'cheddar' italized because the local products bear little resemblance to their namesakes. Stephanie used fresh thyme. No chance of that here. But I liked the savory flavour of dried basil in my "Easy No Fail" pie crust.


The result was pretty tasty and I can pat myself on the back for putting those peppers to good use.

Tomorrow, I want to try making Stephanie's lemon curd (sans the cream and pavlovas). Step by step. Pound by pound. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment