Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Day with the Animals


Perusing Margo Veillon's Egyptian Harvests yesterday, it struck me that I had not seen oxen
ploughing the fields.


Lo and behold, this morning there they are having a break in the sugar cane still harnessed to the plough. Their owner must have been having a break under a palm tree somewhere as he was not in sight.


I was on my way to visit the ACE animal clinic. Thankfully, I suppose, few of their stalls were occupied. Last week they were full with horses suffering from a respiratory flu that was running havoc through the community. Veterinary services are offered free of charge by Egyptian vets and short-term volunteer vets from Britain. Other volunteers were sewing noseguards for horses and walking kenneled dogs.


Dr. Hannah was treating a horse that had been burned in a stable fire. I was told that such fires are common in the summer with their tinder-dry palm log and frond roofs. In another stall a donkey was recovering from his burns over much of his body. Thankfully, the wounds were superficial and he was healing well.


And for strictly research purposes, I had to stop at Oasis Cafe on the way home. Perhaps, just maybe, my restaurant review will appear in an upcoming issue of Egypt Today. Photos were requested so I spent some time posing Medhat with my Chicken Caesar and chocolate cake. He was a great sport.


Who could resist smiling when faced with a boat decked out with stuffed bears and "I Love You" cushions? The boat's Arabic name is a direct transliteration: "Smile at Me".

No comments:

Post a Comment