Saturday, May 22, 2010

Return to Paradise


I looked up from my morning coffee and caught sight of the lacy foliage of the Flame Tree. So delicate. So exquisite. For a beautiful close-up of the flower, see F is for Flame Tree, where I was surprised to see a link to my chocolate box. Thanks!


I had a wonderful time visiting friends, but I was happy to leave behind Cairo traffic and return to my little corner of the world. So you might imagine my moment of distress when just meters from my destination we found the road blocked. Thankfully, Mohamed the gardener came up on his motorcycle, loaded my luggage up in front of him and drove the bags over the garbage-strewn road to my front door. Ilhumdulila!

I walked, giving the dredger a wide berth. Once a year the canals are cleared of debris and garbage. Tomorrow, insha'Allah, a truck will come to clear the road and cart away the rubbish. Nevertheless, I fear it won't be long before plastic bottles strangle the water source once more.


And speaking of garbage, I spotted this empty cigarette pack on the front step in Maadi, tossed out the window by some thoughtless jerk . . . . (ahem) person. The Ministry of Health requires warnings of the health risks on cigarette packaging and understands that images are much stronger than words. Gone is the fellow lying in a hospital bed with an oxygen mask strapped to his face. It seemed scary to me. But I guess the Ministry figures that their new image is scarier for (male) smokers.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shari- It's Bernadette from Escapade through Egypt. Glad you liked the Flame Tree photo. Harry Miller sent me the link to blog and I've been enjoying your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Isn't Harry's network amazing?! Your images capture the beauty of Egypt and I'll be visiting your blog often to see it through your eyes. And, I love your Sinai slide show. I look forward to meeting you in person some day! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Harry and his network are amazing! Do let me know if you're ever in Sinai...

    ReplyDelete