Sunday, May 16, 2010

Into the Heat

Q: What would move me out of a cool apartment into 44C heat?

A: Internet access. There is some problem with the home connection and I'd go mad not knowing if I had mail. So I prepared myself for the furnace. Skirt for ventilation. White shirt for solar reflection. Hat and bottle of water.


Earlier this morning the Time Traveller had commanded from afar that I drink a litre of water mixed with Rehydran. This has been our 'safety packet' during our years living in oven temperatures. Pharmacists often laugh when I ask for a box because it is distributed for babies. Laugh as they like, it has saved me from any additional bouts of heat stroke after my first experience of Aswan heat in May. Rehydran is an USAID success story: before these packets filled with a magical combination of salts were widely distributed in Egypt and mothers were educated about its use, half of infant deaths could be traced to dehydration resulting from diarrhea. Now such tragic deaths are few.

By the way, the roast beef is delicious. There will be many a good meal over the next two weeks . . . . it was a 5lbs roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment