Monday, May 10, 2010

Laying It On Thick


Here we are where it all began with a big hole on March 28th. The "Saharawy" evaporative cooler now resides seamlessly in the patched wall. This morning I was at the paint shop when it opened at 10am to buy another gallon. I used almost the entire can. The colour seems somewhat 'richer' than the original: I'm not sure if this is a result of my laying in on thick, or if the fellows at the shop didn't quite get the colour code exact. Doesn't matter. It looks good. Ilhumdulila!


A dust storm was already blowing when I woke up this morning but that didn't stop the farmers from loading up their donkey carts with bales of chaff. The photo was taken at 6:45, so they must have started at 6am.


On my way to the ferry, I spotted another herd of camels, which looked younger than those in the banana grove the other day. This must be the season for the great camel drive from Sudan to the market in Cairo. Camels walk across the desert to Luxor, where they are put on trucks and transported to the Friday market in Imbaba.


They looked a little thin after their strenuous journey, however, everyone seemed content with their breakfast of clover (birseem). I suspect that they are being fatten up so that they catch a better price in Cairo.


As I waited for a motor launch, I spotted a friendly croc. The boat is named after the Egyptian god of creation, fertility, strength, and protection: Sobek.


I keep a careful eye on the waters in the canal beside our home looking for Sobek's cousin, the Nile Monitor. The lilies have been blooming for about a week and with the banana plant blossoming the canal looked quite exotic. Neighbourhood boys were swimming in it as I returned home from the paint expedition. I'll keep to the chlorinated pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment