Sunday, April 1, 2012

3 Cheers for Jesus!

As the Sun with longer journey
     melts the winter's snow and ice,
with its slowly growing radiance
     warms the seed beneath the earth,
may the sun of Christ's uprising
     gently bring our hearts to life.
John Patrick Earls, American Benedictine monk

As we processed around the church with the children leading the way, waving palm branches and singing "Hosanna in the highest" and "Hosanna to the Lord", everyone was smiling and all spirits were upbeat. With the hymn "He Came Riding on a Donkey" the mirror image of a mighty emperor riding a gilded chariot pulled by giant steads in a triumphal march of victory into Rome with cheering crowds lining the roadway came to mind. There was an 'Ah-ha moment' as I understood the juxtaposition of riding into Jerusalem on a lowly donkey, never ridden before, with simple cloaks as a saddle, yet still to the cheers of adoring crowds. Here was not a stately emperor but the saviour of the poor, the downtrodden, the oppressed and the culpable. Three cheers for Jesus!

Take, O take me as I am; summon out what I shall be;
set your seal upon my heart and live in me.


No comments:

Post a Comment