Sunday, March 27, 2011

Night Meditations

It seemed to be a necessary ritual that he should prepare himself for sleep by meditating under the solemnity of the night sky... a mysterious transaction between the infinity of the soul and the infinity of the universe.
Victor Hugo

I took an evening cup of tea up to the roof. A cool wind blew from the North and a cacophony of traffic noise drifted over from the West but I found a quiet corner to contemplate the awesomeness of the universe.

Thankfully, there is little light pollution and so the stars glistened from light years away. Light years are hard for me to comprehend. The night sky is already awe-inspiring without taking into consideration light years. I looked up and am connected with the Greeks and the Babylonians before them. I too watch Orion run across the sky. So many stars. So many stories. I will meditate on that.

I apologize for this random stream of consciousness. Blame it on the stars.

2 comments:

  1. Inspiration and beauty require no apology...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very sweet to forgive my foibles!

    ReplyDelete