Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Many Faces of Adel

Extraordinary people survive under the most terrible circumstances and they become more extraordinary because of it.
Robertson Davies
Meet Adel (and Mish Mish). Adel is my trusty driver on Tuesday adventures hither and yon. Between his little English and my little Arabic we manage to understand one another. I learned over tea that six-month-old Mish Mish ('Apricot') has a special place in Adel's heart. They seem to understand one another too.

Without communicating that he thought I was mad, Adel guided me in a search of potters. I wanted to meet the potters who make ballas, jars that have ancient precedents. And, to my delight and against all odds, we found them!

Adel then added to the magic of my day by taking me to visit the nearby Monastery of St. George. The church is a modern masterpiece with powerful images of Old and New Testament stories spread across its multiple domes. Thanks to Adel, I have two stories for my Travel Tuesdays blog. Please be patient as this may take some time. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. someone at Robespierre says "her taxi driver is scary" :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) In addition to his heart of gold, the Time Traveller appreciates the resemblance to an extra in "The Godfather".

    ReplyDelete