Monday, March 21, 2011

A Bird's World

In order to see birds it is necessary to become part of the silence.
Robert Lynd
I was honoured by the arrival of a pair of hoopoe (Upupa epops) yearlings on our balcony. They are a spectacular creature and a bringer of good luck in my own personal mythology.

They are extremely flighty birds but I could enjoy the view of these marvelous creatures through our mirrored glass window. I believe this one is admiring his reflection. (I actually don't know whether this is a male or female.)

Late this afternoon we watched the egrets hunt for food along the leading edge of a sugarcane fire. They would approach very close, where it must have been very warm. But there was no roast egret for dinner. Evolution must have weeded out the ones who couldn't sense when they were too close.

No comments:

Post a Comment