Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wandering a Path. Of Truth?

Fear not the path of Truth for the lack of people walking on it.
Robert F. Kennedy


Today I was reminded that the secrets of life unfurl in the most unlikely places.


Taking a walk through the banana grove, so quiet that I could hear the flapping of a raven's wings overhead, I was hailed by Farag. He and his son, Tayyib, were shepherding their small flock of sheep, trying to keep them from nibbling on low-hanging fruit. I met Farag a year ago as I walked along our road homeward. Somehow today's conversation about where I was going turned esoteric as he said, "I think this lady is searching for the path of Truth." Ah, yes, perhaps that is why I contemplate banana leaves, dragonflies, and sunsets. True to his faith, Farag guided me to the Koran, saying I could find a translation on the Internet. The Net may not be the path of Truth, but I was certainly given much to think about as I continued my journey.


As I wandered, egrets watched my progress from their high perch. I got the impression that they could see the path more clearly than I.

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have time to ponder these issues. I feel so bound up in social relationships, that it is impossible to see the banana leaf, let alone the Truth. All the best to you on your journey.
    Pmc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, having the time to contemplate is a benefit of unemployment. I know to enjoy it while I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. after the day I had, I am thinking that sitting with these egrets would be totally amazing.
    pmc

    ReplyDelete