Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Melatonin: 1. Caffeine: 1.


Melatonin is said to help travellers get over jet lag. Trying it for the first time, I have popped a pill the last two nights to improve my sleep at night and thereby have a functional day following. It seemed to work yesterday, but late this morning I spent two hours sleeping in the sunshine on the balcony until the chilly shadows crept over me and I moved to the warmth of the blankets in the bedroom. As I slept, the passing time was marked by calls to prayer from the village mosque. When I heard the call for the Asr (afternoon) prayer, I had to force myself out of bed at 3:30pm. Cat wasn't particularly happy about getting up either. She, too, has been very content to sleep the day away.

Caffeine takes the credit for any productivity today. A strong cappuccino motored me through unpacking and some house cleaning. I'm very happy with the new 'Aerolatte' device that makes such great foam. I see many fine cappuccinos in my future.


I was awake in time to see the Sun set. Lots of clouds added to the drama of Ra's descent into the Netherworld.

2 comments:

  1. so maybe I had better leave that stuff alone:-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combination of melatonin last night and espresso today worked well -- although I was awake to hear the first call to prayer at 5:18am. ;-)

    ReplyDelete