Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Tale of Two Cities

Before 6 AM the van arrived to take me to a north-bound plane. I left behind Luxor's palm trees and balloons . . .

. . . and arrived in Cairo's concrete jungle. This jungle pulsates with noise and humanity -- and sales. I came with a shopping list that only Africa's largest city can fill.

Above all the commotion, pharaonic Atlases try to keep the Earth on an even keel.

While down at ground level, I was introduced to a roadside shoe market that offered every shape and size of footwear at good prices. A young boy scurried back and forth from the factory until I found the perfect ship-ship (aka flip-flop, sandal) for Dad.

After my feet did the walking of downtown Cairo I had the pleasure to sit peacefully in the company of two fine lads, both under 10 years old and sons of an Egyptian friend, who embody the hope of a brilliant future for this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment