Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mango Views

After a day full of van, plane, and car travel I can hardly keep my eyes open to write this. We arrived in the Big Mango (aka, Cairo) this morning. An afternoon drive to Zamalek in downtown Cairo from the district of Ma'adi to the south took one and a half hours. Wow! But I saw a lot of the city as we drove there and back; albeit, usually from tens of meters above ground level on bridges or flyovers. Here is a view of the western branch of the Nile as it goes around Zamalek island.

My trusty driver decided to take a 'short cut' to get us back to Maadi. He drove miles 'off course' to reach the Ring Road on the western side of the city. Surprisingly, we arrived in Maadi in about 25 minutes. Along the route, I captured the incongruous sight of pyramids within a sea of modern apartment blocks.

Here we are approaching Maadi. Development continues.

I must check this post for grammatical and spelling errors, but it's going to wait until tomorrow. Good night. zzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment