Thursday, April 21, 2011

Showing Their Colours

A Jacaranda tree stands tall, and sways as if to say,
Look! At this magnificence, I’m wearing blue today.
forgive the way I shout aloud, my lack of modesty,
but nowhere in this troubled world is finery like me.


Light rays slide between each leaf, to settle on the tips
to lightly kiss your face with a hundred million tiny lips.
You only have to lift your eyes to greet the filtered sun
a sight I guarantee will warm the heart of everyone.


Though very tall, my leaf is small, its form is one of fern,
large panicles of bluebells swell to trumpet unconcern.
A Bee collecting nectar from an ample deep white throat,
takes flight to join its family, and of its feast to gloat.


Look up to see each fern like leaf, floating up on high,
like footprints of a centipede that stroll across the sky
See how far my branches reach, admire their greenery,
I am beautiful and strong, I am the Jacaranda tree.
Ann Beard

The walk around Ma'adi was full of colour. I remember counting the jacaranda tree among my blessings when I lived here.

Our old street running alongside the Metro line has been cleaned up considerably. There are bits of rubbish in this photo but, believe me, this can be considered pristine in comparison to the days before the revolution. It is as if the country is like the jacaranda tree saying, "I am beautiful and strong, I am Egypt."

No comments:

Post a Comment