Friday, February 11, 2011

Viva Egypt!

The true democrat is he who with purely nonviolent means defends his liberty and, therefore, his country's and ultimately that of the whole of mankind.
Mahatma Gandhi


Watching the reaction of Egyptians to the news of Mr. Mubarak's departure, I now know what euphoria looks like. I have witnessed the "power of the people". Peacefully, they have wrought an historic event. They have shown that ordinary people can give birth to liberty. Their accomplishment gives us all hope - hope in ourselves. While I sit in front of the television with tears in my eyes, I suspect that the Time Traveller is floating in the sea of euphoria in Tahrir Square. Stay tuned for his impressions. I know I'll never again walk nonchalantly through that square.

During the past 17 days, independent news stations have mentioned the 'martyrs' of the revolution, but little more was said. Egypt Remembers is dedicated to their memory so that we know a little bit about these vivacious people, their dreams, and their sacrifice. It is a moving tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment