Friday, February 18, 2011

3 Million Plus 1


An estimated three million Egyptians flocked to Tahrir Square today to celebrate the success of their peaceful revolution. There was one foreigner who stood out in the crowd. I can't estimate how many cell phones grabbed a shot of this strange being. I made lots of new friends. This young revolutionary painted my face for free - his gift to me. I counted four other foreigners in the crowd, but their spirit was more subdued. ;-)


Here is a taste of the atmosphere. It was such a moving experience to be among so many extremely happy people.


Some individuals stood out in the crowd. I remember this old and poor revolutionary appearing on BBC or CNN pans of the square. He is obviously well loved. I heard that someone has suggested that the People of Egypt be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. They certainly deserve it.


More than anything, the revolution is for Egypt's children. Many parents brought their kids to celebrate hope for the future. In the crowd, I even met an Egyptian father who has lived in Toronto for two years. He now has hope that his children will have a better life in their homeland.


This family carried placards with poems about the future of Egypt free from corruption and full of respect for every citizen. Each poem ended with the slogan, "Welcome Back Egypt".


Several people carried placards honouring those who died. It was particularly poignant when the image of the martyr matched the features of the fellow carrying the sign.


Just outside the square, soldiers stood with citizens to pay their respects to the dead as images of 365 people scrolled on a large screen TV in a merchant's window.


You may have read of the reporter who was sexually assaulted at last week's celebration. I had no such experience. Male volunteers formed a human chain to create a protective barrier so that women were safe as the crowd surged. These three protectors guided me to a spot directly below center stage and then formed a human shield to create a little shelter in the mass of humanity. Then they helped me jump a 5' guardrail to get out of the mass. I'm not fond of crowds but today I never felt any fear because I had so many helpful people around me. Viva Egypt!

4 comments:

  1. so how is your crown?

    Shari - you opened your chocolate box - you are marvellous!!

    I always wished to have been there when the Berlin wall came down - the similarities are definitely there - and hopefully with the same long range success - tough times are easier when there is hope - god willing!

    todays word:
    prosk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Truly, I feel privileged to have witnessed this incredible transformation.

    And the new crown - created while I sat in the dentist's chair from a few 3D digital images, some special software, and a machine that sculpts the crown from a porcelain peg - fits perfectly. If you're ever in the area, I can recommend a great dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! There were lots of female protesters on the street, too, weren't there? Just didn't get enough media coverage, perhaps.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there were several female protesters, including older women who camped out in the square. Sadly, two young women were among the martyrs. Blogs on AlJazeera.net and Guardian.co.uk carried lots of commentary from female protesters via tweets etc. The great thing about the revolution was that every segment of society (young and old; male and female; urban and rural; professionals and labourers; rich and poor) was present in Tahrir Square.

    ReplyDelete