Sunday, February 6, 2011

Egyptian Friends


Visiting an archaeological dig is a special treat and especially so in Luxor where my Egyptian colleagues always have some exciting new find to show. In addition to this Ptolemaic bath complex, proably a health spa/clinic, they recently uncovered a substantial Roman bath complex.


To some this might look like a messy garbage dump, but I get excited any time I see pottery.


Later we wandered amidst the grandeur of Karnak temple, deciphering the hieroglyphs. Since every surface is covered with images, a person can spend hours looking up in awe . . . with a crick in their neck. I am told that we were two of less than 40 people that visited Karnak temple today. A normal day sees 6,000 visitors trekking through its hallowed halls. Now is the time to visit!


I had a wonderful day visiting my Egyptian friends: contemporary and ancient.

2 comments:

  1. The Good Dr.Hawass probably won't have time for this anymore now that he's a Cabinet Minister...
    He was on our TV here this morning - minus his Indiana Jones hat...I almost didn't recognize him !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes. I was shocked when I spotted him on national television sitting at the table with Mr. Mubarak. Me thinks he will have to hang his hat and mothball his red shirt and blue jeans for a suit and tie. However, even when dressed in a suit, he's no more of a politician than he ever was. I suppose that he doesn't have to be judicious since ministers are not elected representatives of the people.

    ReplyDelete