Monday, September 11, 2017

Heaven and Earth

Come in cielo cosi in terra.
On earth as in Heaven.
Patre Noster, Lord's Prayer

Today, our day was dedicated to visiting the Vatican. For security reasons the main access road is closed to vehicular traffic. Never before have I had the opportunity to enjoy the view of St. Peter's Basilica from the centre of the road created by Mussolini to mark the agreement of shared power between the Roman government and the Vatican, called the Via della Conciliazione (Road of the Conciliation).

Our day began with the amazing tour of the Roman cemetery that was buried in almost pristine conditions when the Emperor Constantine built the first church of St. Peter on Vatican hill in the fourth century AD. The cemetery was located beside the circus where Peter was crucified during the reign of Nero and there is compelling evidence that he was buried here. Constantine's church lies under the current basilica and all these layers become clear during the visit. It is so cool to enter the administrative area of the Vatican and visit the Archaeological Office. And the nice Swiss Guards that we spoke to along the route were all extremely handsome. Good looks must be a job requirement.

Following our visit to St. Peter's basilica we made our way directly to the Vatican Museum, passing thousands (I'm sure that I am not exaggerating) of people who did not reserve their ticket in advance. I, too, have stood in this line years ago. I learned my lesson.

I revisited my favourite works of art, newly impressed as I took in details, such as the musculature of the Trojan priest Laocoon trying to fend off the deadly snake sent by the pro-Greek gods because he was trying to convince his countrymen not to bring the Trojan horse into their city.

Always fond of lion sculptures, I had to take this photo op with a magnificent beast on the corner of a sarcophagus.

I would like to say that this was the final approach to the entrance of the Sistine Chapel, but I took my poor S-I-L on an extended walk to see the papal apartments decorated by Raphael. I have never experienced so many people inside the chapel but Michelangelo's masterpieces transcend the masses. As I respect the rule not to take photos, I don't have any to share. Khan Academy has some good ones if you want to read about what we saw.

I am writing this post in our hotel as my legs try to recuperate from the seven hours of fairly constant walking.

A presto!

Update:

I need to share our wonderful dinner experience with Romeo at Spirito di Vino in Trastevere but as I am getting behind on my blog posting I will provide the following and will come back to fill in the details. Suffice it to say that it was a spiritual experience.

Spirito di Vino boasts a wine cellar older than the Colosseum. It dates from the first century BC.

 Primo vino with the best chicken liver pate ever tasted by the Three Winos.

 Secondo vino that was paired with a pork dish created by the chef to Julius Caesar. I salute you Gaius Martius!


No comments:

Post a Comment