Friday, December 16, 2011

♬ Mince Pies ♬

They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
     Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
     They danced by the light of the moon,
            The moon,
            The moon!
     They danced by the light of the moon.
Edward Lear, English writer of nonsense (1812-1888) in "The Owl and the Pussy Cat"

Christmas = mincemeat to my mind. My family's Christmas dinner, since I can remember, includes a mincemeat pie, slightly warmed and served with a scope of vanilla ice cream. It wasn't until I went off to grad school and a yuletide social hosted by a British couple that I learned about the combination of mince pies ("tarts" in Canadian English) and mulled wine and I was immediately hooked. What a wonderful way to celebrate the season with gathered friends. I will be making the Christmas pie soon, but today I made sugar cookies with mince filling for an upcoming Christmas concert at the church. I'm hoping they will be as tasty as they look.

This YouTube video presents lots of ideas for mince pies to a reggae beat:


No comments:

Post a Comment