Wednesday, December 14, 2011

♬ Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas ♬

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, 
Let your heart be light.
From now on, our troubles will be out of sight.
Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane (1943) 

I was very lucky today because the local "Christmas" radio station (playing only Christmas songs all month long) set up a booth across from my Salvation Army kettle and their speakers were pointed straight at me, so for three hours I was cheered by all the old favourites. I just had to be careful not to embarrass myself by singing aloud or be-bopping to the tunes. ;-) The music kept a smile on my face, which is good for donations, and the hours flew by.

Judy Garland's original version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" from the movie "Meet Me in St. Louis" is arguably the most beautiful version of the song, yet it lacks the cheer one would expect in a yuletide melody. Judy is so emotive that her song makes me want to weep, yet I appreciate it because it reminds me that there are many people who are not joyful this time of year. I've noticed that several churches are holding "Blue Christmas" services for those who are struggling with illness or loss at this special time, surrounding them with prayers, music and hope, and with the message that Christmas is about light coming into, and dispelling, the darkness.


No comments:

Post a Comment