Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Welcome/Bienvenu

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
Winston Churchill

Greetings from the nation's capital! The Time Traveller and I spent an enjoyable afternoon and evening walking around the government centre enjoying the picture perfect weather, the architecture, and the striking views across the Ottawa River. We could only guess that foreign visitors would also be suitably impressed. No doubt, we have our problems but this afternoon's stroll reminded us that we are very fortunate.

I was 14 years old when I last visited the capital and I have to admit that not much of the city looks familiar, so everything is being appreciated with 'new' eyes. Walking around the parliament building I was really impressed with the neo-Gothic turrets, buttresses, windows and gargoyles. The interior also has beautiful details, enough that I think it warrants a Travel Tuesday post. Stayed tuned.

The stone carvers crafted a building full of magical details wherever one looks. The Time Traveller spotted this beautiful detail at the front entrance, calling it the heraldic emblem of our government . . . and he calls me a skeptic! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. ...we have generations of expatriate Canadian governments just outside our back door...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just arrived back in Ottawa myself - but to live. I couldn't get over the changes in the past four years, much of the city was new or renewed. It really is a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TT and I now understand the appeal of the city for our nieces. You are a lucky man Willym! Rome, then Ottawa. Today we're off to see the Caravaggio show for a dose of bella Italia. Andiamo!

    ReplyDelete